Guts and Grog Tooned Up

Monday, October 3, 2011

Lunch Meat- Kirk Alex

     An eighties shot on video classic that gets less love than an adopted child in a house full of bloodline relatives. 
      I remember seeing this on the shelf at my local video store when I was a wee lad.  The cover was always amazing to me and I can't for the life of me remember if I ever watched it. I would assume so as I pretty much rented everything in the horror section but still watching it today was amazing and seemed familiar and new all at the same time. I want to thank Bobby over at Horrorstuff for rekindling my interest in this bad boy.
      Some douchy teens are on a trip and run into some rednecks that like to murder kids and sell them to the store to make meat to put in your kids lunchables container.  It's like Gummo but not at the Chinese restaurant. Now you have the plot.
     Lunch Meat like many eighties horror films has its flaws but that is part of the charm.  There are some slow parts, the effects are pretty bad but fun as hell.  The acting is while not the worst I have ever seen not getting any nods from the academy.   The music on the other hand is excellent. Haunting and repetitive almost would jump to the conclusion Trent Reznor was inspired on his score for the recent academy award winning score for The Social Network. I am not kidding. I have had it stuck in my head since I watched it. 
     Lunch Meat is a perfect example of why I am glad I grew up in the eighties.  All heart, maybe after years of smoking and drinking and cocaine abuse but still a big mother fucking heart.

3/5

Tromeric

No comments: