Guts and Grog Tooned Up

Monday, July 18, 2011

Tucker & Dale vs Evil- Eli Craig

Here's the set up: a group of college kids go out in the woods to drink, smoke weed and skinny dip, but then...things take a turn for the macabre. Nothing too imaginative, right? We've all seen this movie a million times. Wrong, dead wrong. I won't spoil anything, because half the fun of this movie is how original the story is. Not only is this easily the best horror-comedy I've seen since Shaun of the Dead, but it has one of the smartest approaches to the genre I've seen in a long time. You get all the gore and fun (plus some titties, of course) that you'd expect from a typical slasher movie, plus a ton of great humor and some pretty unexpected twists and turns. Again, I can't get too specific about the details, because you really should go into this one with as little info as possible. I was lucky enough to only know the bare bones plot, and that may have been too much really. So don't go looking it up online, don't read any summaries; just sit back and enjoy the madness. If I had to complain about anything, it's that the last half hour or so is pretty predictable, but it's still a shit-ton of fun. Time will tell if it stands up to repeat viewings, but I don't see why it wouldn't. Even if it doesn't, the first time around is a fucking brilliant ride. So get yourself a copy of the movie, have a couple of drinks, and have a hell of a good time with one of the most clever horror movies I've seen in years.

4.5/5

Gabe Nye the Science Guy

No comments: