Guts and Grog Tooned Up

Thursday, February 14, 2013

Berberian Sound Studio- Peter Strickland


A sound engineer heads to Italy to  help with a new film, Shit happens, and shit gets real. That is all the plot you need for this. Not that there isn't more to it, just it doesn't matter. The atmosphere here is so strong that it time traveled back to the eighties so Ian Curtis could write a Joy Division song about it.

Right away you know what kind of film this is. It bleeds awesome and uncomfortable blood. The intro sucks you in and doesn't let you go till the end. I mean the majority of this movie is a dude recording sounds into mikes and I didn't want it to end. That should have its own Oscar right there.

I keep hearing this compared to "Amer," and tonally I can see it. I, however think of it more as "A Serbian Film" with out the NBP. It made me just as awkward, and the pacing of the reveals to the titular character were similar.  I couldn't help but also see a little "Pontypool" in there as well, at least as far as most of it having to do with sound and taking place in a studio. I don't want to give off the wrong idea, in the end this is super original, and like nothing you have ever seen. Nothing really happens, but you won't leave bored.

4.5

-Tromeric

No comments: