Guts and Grog Tooned Up

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Interview with Bobby Canipe: Bloody Bones and other random things my drunk ass thought up.

Bobby Canipe is making a movie called Bloody Bones. It is a eighties influenced horror film that is sure to slap you in the face after it rips it off. I sat down this morning with Bobby at the other end of this crazy internet and racked his brain about everything from cereal to what to expect from this beast.

Tromeric 
Bobby Canipe





 VS













Tromeric: OK. Since this is Guts and Grog lets get started with some questions involving horror and drank before we move on.


Bobby:  sure thing


Tromeric:  What is your favorite alcoholic beverage?


Bobby:  If you consider beer an alcoholic beverage, I guess I would have to go with Keystone Light. It's pretty much always in my hand. If you're going for harder stuff, I rarely drink it, but i guess I'd have to go with Kraken rum.


Tromeric:  Do you prefer to watch films while consuming the grog or sober, or does it depend on the film?


Bobby:  Always while consuming, although that doesn't happen much. I'm usually either with my daughter or at work when I watch the majority of my flicks.


Tromeric:  Makes sense. Life and responsibilities always gets in the way of my movie watching as well. I guess at least you have a life where you can watch a lot of films.


Bobby:  Fortunately I do. I always figure out someway to though .


Tromeric: Alright.Fulci or Argento?


Bobby: Fulci.


Tromeric:  What is your favorite non horror film?


Bobby:  I would probably have to go with Missing in Action 2.


Tromeric:  Do you prefer to watch films with people or alone?


Bobby:  Depends on the film I guess, if it's something i am really looking forward to/expecting to be great, then usually alone. My friends usually talk a lot and it distracts me. If its something I've already seen, or something I could care less about, I love friends over. The more the better.


Tromeric:  To go along with that at home or in the theater?


Bobby:  Most definitely at home. The theater experience used to be great, but with the prices, cramped seating, and horrible teenagers that frequent my local theaters, its just and enjoyable hassle visiting the cinema. I usually only go if its a movie I HAVE to see.


Tromeric: So in this day and age with horror being as huge as it is it is hard to find a film that isn't chalked full of references and homages. Does it enhance a film for you when you catch a nod to Romero or whoever or take you out of the film? Or again does it depend on the film?


Bobby:  Definitely depends on the film. If its a lower budget indie effort, I love seeing little homages that show the filmmakers influences. However, if a higher budgeted flick does the same thing, I feel like they're just trying to pull of some sort of fan service and come across as "cool" to genre aficionados.



Tromeric:  Pretty much where I stand as well. Sometimes I really like it but there is definitely a point where it becomes overkill.


Bobby:  Absolutely.


Tromeric:  How important is music to you in regards to a film?


Bobby:  You know, its not HUGE to me, but if they can pull off an incredible soundtrack, it can definitely make a movie better. Look at Donnie Darko, I love that film, and its probably 90% because of the soundtrack. Also, where would the Lost Boys be without their ICONIC soundtrack. Not to mention Night of the Demons and the Bauhaus track.


Tromeric:  Can't argue with that. Do you prefer score or song?


Bobby:  A mixture preferably, but if i had to pick one, I would go with song. I believe a song can bring forth an emotion that a score can't. Plus it feels more contemporary and realistic. BUT once again it depends on the movie.


Tromeric:  Alright, a couple more of my bullshit questions than we shall move onto Bloody Bones.


Bobby:  No problem man.


Tromeric:  Frankenberry, Boo Berry, or Count Chocula?


Bobby:  Frankenberry definitely.


Tromeric:  Brian over at 13 Bats taught me to mix Frank and Boo for some Frankenboo. Gotta admit it is pretty awesome.


Bobby:  WOW. that sounds amazing. if only i could find it around here out of season.


Tromeric:  That is why I stock up every year at Halloween. OK. I am guessing I know the answer to this but VHS or DVD/Blu?


Bobby:  Haha. most definitely VHS, although I do own a fair number of DVD/Blu rays.


Tromeric:  Film, Digital or Video?


Bobby:  I dig all but if I had to choose it would have to be Video, because my favorite genre is SOV. (Shot on Video)


Tromeric:  And the worst question for a horror nerd. Favorite horror film?


Bobby:  Oh god(laughing). I gotta go with The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974), yeah its mainstream as hell, but is absolutely fantastic every time I watch it.


Tromeric:  I have to fully agree with you on that.  Now onto Bloody Bones.


Bobby: Awesome.


Tromeric:  How long have you wanted to make a horror film and what finally gave you the push to do it?


Bobby:  I've been wanting to make a horror flick as far back as I can remember. When I was 15, a friend of mine took me to visit the set of Carrie 2: The Rage. I didn't see much in the way of horror per say, but I loved the film making process. Years went by of me growing and growing into this MASS of horror nerddom until I volunteered to work on a web series called "The Dark One" earlier this year. While there i met several people that shared the same passion for genre film making as me. So i figured, I have the people, lets do it!


Tromeric:  What are some of the things we can expect with Bloody Bones?


Bobby:  First off GORE. We are striving for unbelievable, holy shit, brutal gore. Easily 2/3 of our budget will be put directly into blood/gore FX. Also, you will see an 80s touch on the whole project. From the box art, to little homages in the movie, to the actual time period the movie takes place in (late 80s). Everything we're doing is to replicate that awesome kids in a house, 80s horror flick Ala Night of the Demons.


Tromeric:  Sounds good to me. Has anything surprised you while getting it together. Like the amount of interest or people that have commented on it?


Bobby:  Definitely the interest in acting. We have had an overwhelming response for auditions. People that are willing to work for basically free (all we are able to offer is meals and an IMDB credit) and give us their all. It's pretty awesome. Also, the horror community has really embraced Bloody Bones in its formative stage. It really shows the tight nit community that exists in the horror genre.


Tromeric:  I agree. It is a crazy place this horror world we live in.


Bobby:  Most definitely.


Tromeric:  Is there an estimated time on when it will be ready to be released and are you looking to release it yourself or are you going to try and get a distributor involved?


Bobby:  We are shooting the last 2 weekends of July with an extra weekend available if needed. I hope to have it done by Halloween with a possible Halloween night release. We actually have 2 awesome distributors vying for our attention right now. I can't mention any names, but I can say that we're excited and either one of them will be great. Bloody Bones will be released on a limited edition numbered VHS and unlimited basic DVDs.


Tromeric:  Well I am looking forward to it and thank you for humoring me by answering my grog induced questions.


Bobby:  Dude anytime,thank you very much for featuring me on such a prestigious blog.


Tromeric:  Thank you sir.(laughing so hard I spit Evan Williams out my nose)


Check the teaser above. It is not final footage but gives you an idea of the size of boner you will get watching this. I am stoked to see the final product and make sure you check out all the social networking sites and keep up to date with this awesome. I want to thank Bobby for enduring through my first interview I have done since I used to interview punk bands for zines I made in my bedroom in high school.




 
 
 
 - Tromeric






 

No comments: