Guts and Grog Tooned Up

Friday, September 5, 2014

You Big Pussy. You Should Stick To PG-13 Horror: Found- Scott Schirmer

"A horror-obsessed boy discovers his older brother is a serial killer." This is the synopsis taken from IMDB. I usually try and come up with a smart ass, vulgar way to give my own synopsis, but honestly, there is no need. That is really all you need to know, plot wise. What I want to talk about, is why this movie blew me the fuck away.

I am a horror nerd. That is no secret. It has never been a secret. I spent my days as a child, on the playground discussing it. I spent my weekends at the video store, then in my basement watching my daily pickings. I scrounged up change, to buy Fangoria, so I could read about it, then cut out all the pictures and hang them on my wall. I am obsessed. Always have been, always will be.

I am instantly interested when a films character is also a horror nerd. Especially when dealing with a coming of age story. The Monster Squad were my idols. I grew up watching them, and feeling like them. Sure, I never got to hang out with monsters, well at least not the fun kind, but those are different stories. Later in life films like Lightning Bug, or Super 8 touched on this. It is impossible to not relate, and as a somewhat human, it feels good. With that said, it can also derail a story if used improperly. So while excited, I am also hesitant. I honestly didn't know much more than the synopsis when I rented this last night. I had heard some good things, but hadn't really looked into it. It was an impulse rent, and one that I am very happy I succumbed to.

Found is three different films combined into one, for me. It is the coming of age story of Marty. He has to realize that while the movies are fun, in real life. It can loose it's charm. This is all dealt with by showing him dealing with problems at school, church, and home. He is picked on, he has one friend who shares his love of horror, but even that isn't safe when you bring in school politics.

You have the story of his brother, who you see unhinge as you learn of his evil deeds, but also see his humanity, which is something that is lost in a lot of films. He is not a good person, he does atrocious things, but you still feel for him.

The third part would be the films inside the film. They went to great lengths for these to stand out. Sure, there are plenty of references to classics such as Popcorn, The Taint, Video Violence, Street Trash, and countless more, but what really impressed me, was the original films they used to mirror what was going on in the real world. Amazing detail were given to these. Including box art, and even extensive scenes that were shot, to have the boys watch. These are movies I wish existed. They are a gorehounds wet dream.

That leads us into the gore. This is a brilliant film, with a lot to say, but it also is a wet mess of awesome. Tit chopping, necrophilia, and so much more. It is brutal, but fun at the same time. It rips your guts out, and you feel no pain. You are excited. Does that mean there is something wrong with you? Possibly, but who gives a shit. Embrace, that's what I always say, well at least that is what I just said. Seriously though. The effects are some of the best I have seen in quite some time.

The atmosphere is so thick you can cut it with a knife. Within seconds, I was sucked in, and felt like I was a kid headed to the video store again. In fact, there is a scene in a video store, where nothing really happens, but I could not take my eyes off of it. They treat it almost orgasmic, which for any of us horror lovers will know, is not far off from the truth. I believe I got a little wet the first time I saw the case for The Wizard of Gore, or Blood Feast, or countless others.

I hate to over hype a film. I am sure if you look hard enough, you can find some flaws. I was so hooked to what I was seeing, I didn't have time for that. It is going to take an awful lot to knock this out of best horror film of the year for me.

4.5/5

-Tromeric

No comments: